When setting up a new business, it is not uncommon to encounter various legal issues. To help make your start-up run as smoothly as possible, we have highlighted seven issues you will need to consider.
1) Does your business require any licenses? If so, how to you go about obtaining these?
2) Where will your business be based? Do you need to be involved in any negotiating on the lease agreement?
3) Do you need to carry out a health and safety assessment? As the answer is most likely ‘yes’, find out how to do this.
4) If you are going to have employees, several issues will arise. For example, you will need to ensure you have insurance, register with your PAYE office and learn how to draw up employment contracts. Luckily, our blog can help you out [link to employment contract blog].
5) Do you want to draw up standard terms and conditions of trade?
6) Consider your intellectual property rights. There are several ways to protect your creations; make your business or brand name a trademark, register your design or invention, and label all materials and plans with the copyright symbol.
7) It might be a good idea to plan ahead in terms of income and expenses. For example, will you need to register for VAT? How do you go about doing so?
Do not hesitate to talk through your plans with an experienced legal advisor – it might save you a lot of stress in the long run.