Year joined DJM: September 2001
Qualifications: Philip graduated with an LLB Hons 2:1 Degree from Swansea University in 1999.
Specialist area: Noted in the Legal 500, Philip’s established construction practice regularly acts in complex construction matters involving multi million pound claims, often against multinational companies. Philip has extensive experience in Adjudications for both Referring Parties and Respondent’s, including enforcing and resisting enforcement of Adjudication decisions and is presently in the process of becoming a qualified Arbitrator.
His experience extends to all forms of construction disputes including:
- The scope and duties of architects, project managers, structural engineers and planning consultants and the breach of these duties;
- Extension of time claims and prolongation of works, liquidated damages and defective works;
- Collateral warranty and contribution claims;
- The interpretation and enforcement of all forms of JCT, NEC & bespoke agreements;
- Valuations of services and final account claims including the quality and scope of works;
- Successfully acting for builder in Arbitration concerning alleged defective construction of a swimming pool hall with technical arguments over construction, responsibility for design defects and claims for loss and expense;
- Litigation relating to the design & construction of bespoke water treatment facilities in Eastern Europe before the ICC Court of Arbitration
- Acting for an on-site specialist Engineering company for the production & operation of specialist milling machinery upon a cantilever road bridge
2015 Edition: ‘‘Articulate’ team head Philip Graham advises clients such as WRW Construction and Gravan Construction. Graham advised an international civil engineering and building company on a substantial commercial and residential development’
Interests: Outside work, Philip is a keen road cyclist and has recently been appointed as Club Secretary of Swansea Wheelers, which seeks to promote and encourage the sport and pastime of cycling within Swansea on both a competitive and social level. Philip also enjoys playing and watching football and rugby.