Laura Alliss has successfully become appointed as a member of ACTAPS
Date: July 17th 2018
Laura Alliss of DJM Solicitors has become one of only 3 solicitors in Swansea to be registered as a Contentious Trust and Probate Specialist with the Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS), and one of only 12 members appointed in South West Wales.
Members of ACTAPS are registered as specialists in the field of contentious probate and trusts and are required to evidence experience in all areas of probate and trust disputes at an expert level. In order to be appointed, Laura successfully evidenced the required experience in the following types of claims;
- Proceedings under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975 for reasonable financial provision;
- The validity of wills on the basis of improper execution, testamentary capacity, lack of knowledge and approval, undue influence and fraud;
- The validity of trusts on the basis of lack of capacity, lack of knowledge and approval, undue influence and fraud;
- Challenging semi/half secret trusts within wills;
- Rectification of wills;
- Donatio Mortis Causa claims;
- Disputes relating to assets transferred prior to death;
- Disputes between beneficiaries and personal representatives;
- Applications to remove/substitute personal representatives and trustees;
- Actions against personal representatives and trustees for breach of fiduciary duty;
- Caveats, warnings and appearances together with applications to remove permanent caveats;
- Professional negligence claims relating to the improper drafting of wills/trusts including claims by “disappointed beneficiaries” under the principal of White v Jones ;
- Contentious and non-contentious applications to the Court of Protection, including being appointed as a litigation friend in respect of an application for a statutory will;
- Claims relating to constructive and resulting trusts;
- Applications for orders for sale on behalf of personal representatives;
- and Burial disputes.
Laura has already been recognised within the Legal 500 (2017 edition) as having “built up considerable experience in relation to contentious probate matters” and is described by her clients as acting with “professionalism, courtesy and in an unassumingly efficient manner” and is a “truly charming asset to DJM”. Her appointment to ACTAPS is a therefore a fitting recognition of her specialism in this area.